Domestic Abuse Services – OLGCS is a not-for-profit organization committed to ending violence against women through education and action. DAS-OLGS is looking for passionate and highly-motivated individuals to volunteer as Community Educators assisting the Education Chair in promoting its community education program.
- Minimum of 1 year.
- Volunteer hours will vary week to week depending on task needs.
- Availability to attend committee meetings and training sessions as requested.
- Flexible availability day, evenings and weekends.
- Facilitating different interactive workshops for high-school-aged youth, various Catholic organizations, and at the Parish level on the topic of abuse and violence in the home.
- Adhere to education campaign budget and time line
- Liaise and coordinate with Education Chair on all education campaign events.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English. Any additional language skills an asset.
- Willingness to travel throughout the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to be detail orientated and creative.
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse populations.
- Ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others;
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize.
- Comfort with public speaking and group facilitation.
- Emotional comfort with the topic of domestic violence.
Training & Support:
- No experience necessary. All training is provided.
- Over 22 hours of extensive training in topics including the cycle of abuse, developing a safety plan, and crisis intervention.
- Resource manual provided.
- On-going support and supervision from Director of Education.
- Evaluations, exit interviews, and letters of reference (upon request).
- On the job orientation
- All volunteers will take part in a screening interview.
- This meaningful opportunity is an ideal way to utilize your life experiences to tangibly benefit women and children in the community, while gaining new skills.
- To learn new and transferable skills, knowledge and experience in the area(s) of public awareness and education campaign logistics, and communications.
- To engage in opportunities for leadership, community service and personal/professional development.
- To be a part of a larger team or movement that is working towards social change.
- To be recognized and appreciated for valuable contributions