Domestic Abuse Services – OLGCS is a not-for-profit organization committed to ending violence against women through education and action. DAS-OLGS is seeking volunteers who have passion for the issue of violence against women to provide non-judgmental emotional support and referrals to a diverse population of callers in distress. Callers seek support with a wide range of issues related to domestic abuse.
- Requirement of one 4-hour shift every week, ranging between the hours of 10am to 10pm seven days a week.
- Minimum commitment of 100 volunteer hours after training.
- Engage callers in a positive and effective way
- Understand caller’s issues and concerns
- Share with callers the resources available in the community as provided in the resource manual.
- Be clear about personal and professional boundaries.
- Volunteers need to be fluent in English. Fluency in additional languages will be considered a valuable asset.
- After training attend 3 volunteer workshops a year.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to be detail orientated and creative.
- Familiarity and comfort with the dynamics of domestic violence and related issues.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse populations.
- Ability to exhibit discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to represent DAS-OLGC in a professional manner.
- Interested in Domestic Violence and related issues.
Training & Support:
- No experience necessary. All training is provided.
- Over 22 hours of extensive training in topics including the cycle of abuse, developing a safety plan, and crisis intervention.