Women who are at risk of violence by their partners are strongly advised to develop a personalized safety plan as a first step in protecting themselves and their children. The following will help you create your plan. Call 604-640-7549 or 1-888-833-7733 for further assistance in developing your plan.
- Know the quickest route out of your home. Practice escaping that way.
- Know the quickest route out of your workplace. Practice escaping that way.
- Know the route to shelters, police stations, hospitals, fire stations and public places/stores opened 24 hours a day
- Pack a bag and have it ready. Keep it somewhere where it is hidden but easy to grab.
- Tell your neighbours about the abuse and ask them to call the police if they hear a disturbance.
- Have a code word to use with your children, family and friends. They will know to call the police and get you help.
- Teach your children how to reach help (e.g. dialing 911, going to a neighbour) in an emergency situation.
- Use and trust your instincts.
- Plan in advance where you would go in an emergency and how to get there. Take the following with you: identification, health records, money, bank/credit cards, keys, medication, legal papers, important phone numbers, jewelry/photos/ sentimental items, a few items of clothing and favourite toys/blankets.
It is your right to protect yourself and your children.